Saturday, July 27, 2013

Our Little Treehouse


I was flipping through the channels the other day and stumbled on a show called Treehouse Masters.  It is where Pete Nelson builds tree houses full time.  I think he lives in WA at what he calls Treehouse Point.  Can you imagine having that as your full time job?  I was blown away by the beauty and details of their tree houses.  I too was bit by the tree house bug several years ago.  I was walking through Home Depot and I saw a magazine with the cutest little tree house on the cover.  I bought the mag brought it home and immediately began dreaming up my own ideas for my son's (my) tree house.  My dad built houses and my husband has always been able to build anything he wishes (he built the cabinets for our home + lots of other things) so after I had the plans laid out I put them to work...  First, was to pick out the perfect location.  I knew I wanted it in our back yard but close enough to our house that our son could easily access it.  We live on 14 heavily wooded acres so we had plenty of trees to choose from.  After careful consideration, I (we) found the perfect set of trees.  I selected a green tin roof so we could hear the rain.  It is made of cedar so we could get the perfect color and I love the smell.  I picked the accent color of green so it would blend with the tree leaves.  We handmade the windows and they are made of Plexiglass instead of glass so no one could easily break them and get cut--kid friendly.  The windows are hinged and swing open.  You can see the results in the picture.  This was right after it was built.  Now, I have been inspired again and I think I am going to re-do the inside and decorate it.  I will share it when I am done.